What is Accessible Property Register?
The Accessible Property Register was set up in 2003 by Conrad Hodgkinson, Christine Barton, and Lindsay Yarrow. Sadly, Christine, who had primary progressive multiple sclerosis, died in 2013. Christine was a wheelchair user and so is Lindsay, so we have personal experience of the barriers faced by disabled and older people in relation to housing.
Accessible Property Register:
- Specialises in promoting wheelchair accessible and adapted property, and wheelchair access holiday accommodation
- Accepts adverts for wheelchair accessible property suitable for disabled people for sale and rent
- Promotes wheelchair access social housing and private residential property
- Provides links and useful information relating to property and disabled access
The original APR website was the first in the UK to specialise exclusively in promoting accessible and adapted property for sale and rent. We are also unusual in accepting adverts for both private residential and social housing.
This new website maintains our original principles and any property advertised here will be accessible or adapted. This means that there is the option to include detailed information about access features and any adaptations in your advert.
We are not a charity and we do not receive any public funding. However we remain determined to maintain a period of free advertising for private individuals selling or letting their own property.
The Accessible Property Register is committed to equal opportunities and to enhancing independence and choice for older and disabled people.
What do we mean by ‘Accessible Property’ and ‘Accessible Property Plus’?
Property meeting the following criteria will be advertised as ‘Accessible’. Properties in this category may be advertised on the APR website and may qualify for a period of free advertising.
- Off-street or unrestricted on-street parking.
- No steps between the point where a car could be parked and the entrance to the property.
- Level or ramped access to at least one entrance to the property.
- Level access to all main living floor rooms.
- A WC on the same level as the entrance to the property.
Accessible Property Plus
Properties advertised as ‘Accessible Property Plus’ will be accessible and in addition, contain one or more features which may make the property more suitable for someone with a physical or other impairment. Property designated Accessible Property Plus may be particularly suitable for a wheelchair user and some of these properties will have been specifically designed or adapted for wheelchair use.
Accessible Property Plus features might include any of the following and features will be displayed with property details:
- Entrance level bath or shower room.
- Adapted bathroom (e.g. bath with electrically operated seat, walk-in bath, fixed or drop-down handrails etc.)
- Level access shower/wet room
- Adapted kitchen (e.g. lowered working services)
- Wider-than-standard doorways
- Access to upper floor(s) via stairlift
- Access to upper floor(s) via wheelchair lift
- Fixed or tracking ceiling hoist(s)
- Environmental or SMART controls
- Intercom (may incorporate remote door opening)
- Supported living (warden or other assistance available on site)
Who can advertise on the APR website?
We accept adverts for both private residential and social housing. Anyone can advertise on the APR website – providing the property meets our access criteria.
How much does advertising on the APR website cost?
Property advertising on this website is free of charge for seven days to private individuals placing their own advert for UK property for sale or rent. A fully serviced option is available (we create and post your advert for you). There is a charge for this service of £45 (unlimited period).
Adverts from estate agents, developers and social housing organisations are welcomed. Follow this link for Services for estate and other agencies. Contact APR or phone on 0207 993 2135 for further details.
Our address is:
The Accessible Property Register
6 Owen Street
With more than 90,000 page views per month, The Accessible Property Register website has already attracted considerable positive publicity and interest. We offer attractive sponsorship opportunities to businesses and organisations wishing to demonstrate their corporate social responsibility and commitment to inclusion by supporting our free advertising service. Any sponsorship agreement will normally include the option to display a logo and link on our homepage.