Skip navigation

What our visitors say

Property and holiday accommodation with wheelchair access


If you are disabled and your home has been adapted in any way with items such as stair lifts, hoists, bath lifts or ramps then make sure you are completely covered by your home insurance for any damages that may occur.

Remember, Insurance companies are not allowed to refuse you if you’re disabled or offer you worse terms to other customers. But, home insurance prices vary so take your time to shop around and find the best one for you.

This article reminds homeowners with disabilities or people living with those who do, to make sure they have the right cover to protect their home. See below for a quick checklist.

-    Know your insurer's details
If you’ve shopped around and changed your insurer, make sure you have their details and that they’re all correct. Each of their websites should have a full description of them. If you’re not sure how to get the best deal for your home insurance the Money Advice Service might be able to help you.

-    Understand what you are insured for
Read your policy thoroughly and make sure that the cover you have meets your every need. Different home insurance policies can vary with things such as accidental damage or damage from your possessions when you’re away from home.

-    Check your excess
Excess is the first part of your claim and is the part you have to pay yourself. Different sections of your policy could have different levels of excess so you need to make sure you know exactly what these are. Checking this might help you decided whether or not to claim.

If you need to claim

-    Have your details to hand
You may need to contact your insurer quite quickly so have your details to hand or put them in a safe and easily accessible place. The majority of insurers have 24-hour emergency helplines for quick advice on what to do.

-    Temporary repairs
The damage could get a lot worse in a short space of time so call your insurer’s emergency helpline and ask for some advice on making some temporary repairs. Make sure you keep your receipts because they will form part of your claim.

-    Don’t throw damaged items away straight away
Unless of course they are a health hazard or risk, try to keep your damaged items as your insurer might want to inspect them.

-    Home insurance is not a maintenance contract
Your home insurance covers a variety of different things such as floods, fire, theft or storm damage. But, it will not cover wear and tear or poor maintenance issues in your home. So make sure you are aware of what problems you have and who to contact.

-       Differences to remember
Home insurance and content insurance cover two different things. Home insurance is known as building insurance and under this policy, it means your home structure is covered including permanent fixtures such as toilets and baths.

On the other hand, contents insurance is a policy that covers almost everything that you have inside your home such as home electronics, kitchen equipment, carpets, clothes and garden furniture. To read more on this take a look at Reader’s digest.

Having trouble finding yourself home insurance or want to chance your policy? Did you know RAC also do home insurance? Go check them out!