April 22, 2021
It’s everyone’s worst-case scenario: you close the front door to the house. You check the handle and it’s all locked up tight. You reach into your pocket or your purse for your car keys only to realise that they’re still inside.
The best thing to do now is to call a locksmith. But what if your mobile is in the house too? There are actually several ways that you can open up a locked door without a locksmith, provided you have some other basic tools.
1. Bobby Pins: You’ve seen it depicted in popular television and movies, but according to Popular Mechanics, you can use bobby pins to pick the lock on your door and get back inside. You’ll need to bend the bobby pins and insert them into the lock to manipulate the tumblers.
2. Credit Card: The old credit card trick might also help you get back in without calling a locksmith. Use a sturdy card, but one that can be replaced easily. Slide it between the lock and the doorframe, then bend it back. This will force the lock back into the door.
3. A Lockpick Set: If you have access to a lockpick set or know someone who does, this might provide easier access to your home without having to call a locksmith. Insert the tension wrench opposite where the teeth on the key would be. Then use the rake to manipulate the lock. When the key pin reaches the shear line, twist the tension wrench to open the lock.
4. Power Drill: If you have access to a power drill, you may be able to drill the lock out and open the door that way. Note that this only works with some locks (hardened locks may be proof against even strong drills). This method will also destroy the lock. Use the correct drill bit and drill out the top part of the key path where the pins are located. Slowly drill through each pin until the lock opens.
5. Screwdriver: If you have a flathead screwdriver, you can use it to open a locked door without calling a locksmith. Insert it between the lock and the doorframe and push the lock back into the door. Of course, the simplest option is to just call a locksmith. A professional locksmith can have your door open in mere seconds, with no damage to the lock.